The Rob Guest Endowment Technical Award
The Rob Guest Endowment Technical Award in honour of Sue Nattress is a $5,000 cash prize donated by Foundation Theatres. The award is intended to help a member of a technical department in theatre gain the contacts, tuition and experience needed to help them become a leader in their field.
This award is open to applicants between 18 and 30 years of age, who work in technical fields including, but not limited to, fly, automation, mechanics, sound, lighting, projection, props, wigs and wardrobe. All level of experience are eligible, from student through to Head of Department, with applicants needing to show how the funds would help them further their career.
Foundation Theatres is Australia’s premier theatre owner and operator, currently managing the Sydney Lyric and Capitol Theatres. It is an Australian family owned and run company whose owners, Stephen and Angela Found, have a great passion for the industry, and those that work within it. Its vision is to facilitate a thriving and profitable commercial performing arts sector across Australia, delivering opportunities for growth, employment and the pursuit of excellence for theatre makers, performers, musicians, technicians and theatrical crew. They hope that this award will help continue to encourage those technicians who make live theatre possible.
- Fill in the application form on the Rob Guest Endowment website by 1st October 2018.
- A clear vision for the use of funds should be shown as a part of the application
- As well as the official application form, two references are required:
- A technical reference discussing their technical abilities, which may include the training vision and future direction of the applicant. This would preferably be from a teacher, private or tertiary, who can accurately comment on the applicant’s abilities.
- A professional character reference discussing the applicant’s ability to communicate, their ability to work with others, suitability for musical theatre work and general character. This would preferably be from the head of department, stage manager or technical director, but can also be a personal character reference if the artist hasn’t yet been a part of a professional production.
- The judging panel will read all application materials, discuss and decide upon the award winner. Their decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
Additional queries from registered applicants should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants must be aged between 18-30 at 1st November 2018.
- Applicants may be a member of any technical field required for the production of theatre works.
- Tertiary training is preferable, but not essential. Applicants will be assessed by written application and references, including tertiary tutors where applicable.
- Professional experience or a current position in a professional show will not exclude any applicants from applying.
- Applicants must be an Australian citizen.
|Applications Open:||Wednesday 25th July 2018|
|Application Close:||Midnight, Sunday 30th September 2018|
|Finals:||Monday 19th November 2018|
The 2018 judging panel will consist of three of Musical Theatre’s leading technical experts. Throughout the judging process, the judges will review contestants on the below criteria.
The judges will award the prize to an exceptionally talented member from any one of the technical fields, who will benefit from the opportunity to train further, build networks with experienced professionals, and to actively contribute to the industry in a positive way.
Applicants will be judged on the following aspects through the application process:
- Technical strength through training and/or experience
- A clear vision of how they could develop further, and an ability to communicate those ideas
- Suitability of their character for musical theatre work
- Employment potential
- Suitability of being an award winner, and therefore representative of the Rob Guest Endowment
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for further details of the competition and award.
The judges for the 2018 award will be announced in due course.