Rob Guest Endowment Award
The Rob Guest Endowment award is now Australia’s largest Music Theatre prize providing financial assistance and industry support to the next generation of musical theatre stars.
The Rob Guest Endowment Award is a $50,000 cash prize to be used for professional development.
The runner up will receive $5,000 and the remaining four finalists will each receive a $1,500 cash prize to be used for professional development.
Application and Competition Process
Performers should apply through our online portal on the Rob Guest Endowment website. All applicants who apply will be required to submit a video audition for the first round. They will need to upload the video to Youtube or Vimeo (video needs to be unlisted or public, not private) and include the weblink in their application. Applicants are to complete an introduction to camera as well as a song from the musical theatre genre. The video audition must meet the below requirements:
- Piano backing only (live or recorded)
- Mid shot (below waist to above head)
- Eyes directed towards the upper 2/3 of the screen
- Must be recorded in a well-lit environment
- A 3-minute excerpt or song sung in one take, no editing permitted
- Footage must be in focus and of a reasonable quality (iPhone acceptable)
- Applicant must introduce themselves and the song. No other information is necessary and will not be taken into consideration for the purposes of judging the entries.
- There is a limit of one entry per entrant.
30 successful applicants will be selected to proceed in the competition. Here, they will be required to submit a second video incorporating 2 contrasting songs from the musical theatre genre and one monologue. Dance elements are welcomed should the applicant deem it worthwhile. The semi-finalists are also required to submit a list of no less than five song choices that they feel best represent their abilities. The Semi-finalists will also be required to submit a mission statement which details their study plans as well as their long-term goals and initiatives.
The finals will take place in 2020. The six finalists will be required to perform the two songs chosen from the semi-final auditions. More details on the final event will be announced in due course.
Additional queries from registered applicants should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants must be aged between 18-25 as at 30th November 2020.
- Professional experience or a current position in a professional show will not exclude performers from applying. However each artist cannot have had a minor principal or principal roles in a mainstage production in the past or signed contracts for future productions.
- The performance must include a vocal element but dramatic or dance elements are welcomed.
- Applicants must be an Australian citizen.
|Applications Open:||Monday 6 July, 2020|
|Application Close:||Midnight, Friday 7 August, 2020|
|Finals:||Monday 12 October, 2020|
The 2020 judging panel will consist of an array of leading industry professionals. At every stage of the competition, the judges will review contestants on the set judging criteria and will award the prizes to versatile performers of exceptional talent who will benefit from the opportunity to train further and be able to actively contribute to the industry in a positive way.
They will be judged on the following aspects:
- Technical strength in the areas of voice, acting and movement
- A clear vision of future direction as an artist
- Employment potential and suitability of being a representative of the Rob Guest Endowment.
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for further details of the competition and award.
Kellie Dickerson, Pip Mushin, Dana Jolly, David Skelton, Vanessa Scammell, Luke Joslin, Roger Hodgkin, Guy Simpson, Michael Tyack OA, Jason Langley, Paula McKinnon