The Rob Guest Endowment Musician Award
The Rob Guest Endowment Musician Award is for the encouragement of a young musician in the musical theatre industry. This award is intended to help a current musician in the theatre genre fund the tuition and experience needed to help them become a leading artist in their field.
The award is a $10,000 cash prize to be used for professional development. This award is fully funded by Capitol Theatre and Sydney Lyric.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2017 MUSICIAN AWARD IS NOW OPEN
- Fill in the application on the Rob Guest Endowment website by 20thOctober 2017.
- A clear vision for the use of funds should be shown as a part of the application
- As well as the official application form, two references are required:
- A technical reference discussing their musicianship, which may include the training vision and future direction of the young artist. This would preferably be from a teacher, private or tertiary, who can accurately comment on the applicant’s abilities.
- A professional character reference discussing the young artist’s ability to communicate, their ability to work with others, suitability for musical theatre work and general character. This would preferably be from the leader of a section, conductor/musical director or associate musical director, but can also be a personal character reference if the artist hasn’t yet been a part of a professional production.
- A panel of industry experts will read all application materials, discuss and decide upon the award winner. The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Additional queries from registered applicants should be sent to email@example.com
- Applicants must be aged between 18-30 at 1stNovember 2017.
- Applicants may be an instrumentalist only, or instrumentalist/conductor.
- Tertiary musical training is preferable, but not essential. Applicants will be assessed by written application and references, including tertiary tutors where applicable.
- Professional experience or a current position in a professional show will not exclude musicians from applying.
- Applicants must be an Australian citizen.
|Applications Open:||Thursday 3rd August 2017|
|Application Close:||Midnight, 20th October 2017|
|Finals:||Monday 20th November 2017|
The 2017 judging panel will consist of three of Musical Theatre’s leading musicians. Throughout the judging process, the judges will review contestants on the below criteria.
The judges will award the prize to a musician of exceptional talent who will benefit from the opportunity to train further, build networks with experienced professionals, and to actively contribute to the industry in a positive way.
Applicants will be judged on the following aspects through the application process:
- Technical strength through training and/or experience
- A clear vision of how they could develop further, and an ability to communicate those ideas
- Suitability of their character for musical theatre orchestral and rehearsal work
- Employment potential
- Suitability of being an award winner, and therefore representative of the Rob Guest Endowment
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for further details of the competition and award.
The judges for the 2017 award will be announced in due course.